My wife was just telling me of a conversation she had with another family – saying May is the new December. Sports are in full swing, yard work is taking off, summer plans are in the making and award ceremonies are taking over the calendar. It is certainly a very busy time and I hope you’ve found a few peaceful moments to breathe as a family. Of course – that’s hard too with all the pollen in the air!
Students did a great job with the Journey Compass Values of Focus and Dedication when completing SOL testing this past week. Scores will be shared in paper form after each grade level completes testing. Some families have been contacted about retakes and remediation. The state gives some students a second go if they were close to the passing mark. Speaking of the passing mark, many families have asked if the SOL tests determine advancement to the next grade. They do not. We appreciate students doing their best as it does give us a snapshot of how learning and teaching has gone throughout this year. But we do not wish to cause more stress if a child falls short of the 400 point mark.
This week we will be testing students on math. 5th is on Tuesday, 3rd is on Wednesday, and 4th is on Thursday. Other items on the calendar include a Shenandoah Trip for 5th grade, with half on Thursday and half on Friday. Thursday night at 6:30pm is our PTA meeting. Third Grade will take us on a Journey to the Ancient World and then we’ll all meet outside for some Kona Ice! And on Friday our First graders will go to visit Goochland Tech and see what amazing things our high schoolers are learning.
Looking further out:
- STEM camp is still accepting registrations. It will run from June 18-22 and registration is now open. Here is a link to the form.
- 5th graders will have a final science SOL test on Monday, May 21st. Retakes and makeups go throughout next week.
- iPad collection, including charging cords/blocks, Kajeet wifi devices, and cases is on May 24th.
- Third grade travels to Tredegar on Friday, May 25th
- There is no school on Memorial Day, Monday, May 28th.
- Then we’ve got Field Day on the 30th (look soon for signing up to help), 5th grade graduation on the 31st at 8:30am , Kindergarten celebration at 1:30pm , 1/2 awards on June 1st at 8:30am and 3/4 awards at 1:30pm.
Like I said – May is the new December. Crazy busyness. Have a great week!