Good evening Roadrunner families!
I’ll kick off this message asking for some help. Compared to last year our car line is huge! We’ve been backing up Sheppard Town Road morning and afternoon almost every day. Building doors open at 8:00am in the morning and at 3:10pm in the afternoon. I’ve tried something new, looping 10 cars around in the afternoon and that helped some, but didn’t solve it. And so our next idea – could some of you shoot for an 8:10am morning arrival and a 3:15pm afternoon arrival? That way things would really be rolling at that point. Who should do it? I don’t want to force a grade level or last name alphabet list yet. So let’s see if it solves with a random changing flow each day. Perhaps some of you will be relieved to know you are not late. In the morning we will close doors at 8:20am and we’d like to be done with car line by 3:22pm. Let’s see what happens. Thank you for your help.
Our calendar this week:
On Monday the 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders will receive their iPads. Please make sure the AUP document was signed and the insurance fee was paid or they will not get the iPad device. On Tuesday we will have our first school Lockdown Drill. This helps our students understand what to do in the case of an intruder or unsafe campus situation. Our teachers are wonderful in making this education comfortable, yet serious. Students in grades 1 through 5 will be taking MAPS testing. These allow us to get a starting point for the year, guiding lesson planning and small group design. On Friday afternoon the third grade will be hosting visitors from the Richmond Zoo.
We’ve got a lot of other announcements today, so please hop over to the electronic version of this message on our website on in your email.
- For safety we ask that you please drop your student off using carpool in the morning. If you need to bring them inside with a project please walk them in and someone is happy to take items to the classroom. We like to limit adults to our staff in the mornings during arrival. If the teacher has asked for you to visit please sign in at the office and get a visitors sticker.
- Mrs. Ambrose, our counselor, met with all newcomers this week. She felt that the students were really settling into Randolph quickly. All parents please reach out to teachers, the counselor, and myself if you need help making your kids feel comfortable at school.
- Soon you will receive more information about our first big PTA fundraiser, the warrior dash. For now I’d like to mention that we do have corporate sponsorship opportunities. Please see the attached flyer for more information. Not only would you help our school, you’d get some advertising to our Randolph families.
- Interested in helping out with the Hospitality PTA crew? Mrs. Upton helps to take care of our staff throughout the year but needs some help. She already kicked us off with a wonderful breakfast and gifts for the staff. However, she’ll need some help with some evening dinners and other activities throughout the year. If you can help, please email her at email@example.com.
- Did your student read this summer? If so it will earn you some free Field Day of the Past tickets and vendor coupons! Mrs. Vaughan sent out a half sheet where you can record the books. These are due back by the end of this week so that we can order the right amount of tickets. Alternatively, you can send in their summer reading certificate if they participated with the library!
- Returning families – please update your information online. We are really trying to move to electronic updating of records and of the annual required agreements. Log into powerschool and choose the E-collect menu on the left. Soon we will send home paper agreements for your signature if it is not completed online. Help us save trees and hours of data entry work!
- Don’t forget to join the PTA, pay your school fees, and look through the Elementary Handbook.
- Regarding cub scouts – turnout was poor likely due to the storm that hit at the same time on Thursday night. The scouts would like to welcome you to the next few meetings to get more information. Those would be August 26th and September 9th at 6:30pm in the Randolph cafeteria.
Sorry for the earful. The start of the year always has a lot to it. We appreciate your help transitioning from the summer to the school year!