Happy March! What did you do with your extra February day?
Monday is a Day 2 for Encore.
I almost missed my usual send time on this message due to getting Silent Auction chairs primed and ready for student painting. This is a new silent auction item that each classroom will be decorating for you to bid on! Many thanks to Tim Wood for gathering all the supplies for double painting 27 chairs! And thank you to Tim and PTA President Allison Duffee for giving 4 hours today to painting them! This week we’ll be having a whole lot of fun for Read Across America Week. Between special guest readers and crazy clothing throughout the week our kids (and staff) is bound to have a blast! Here is an online link to the clothing themes. Monday is many colors, Tuesday is twin day, Wednesday is wacky, Thursday is dressing like your 116 years old (ok, so maybe half that – that just happens to be Dr. Seuss’ age), and Friday is PAJAMA DAY! Mrs. Vaughan has also posted the March calendar of the events in case you need it. We will have our last after school PTA classes on Tuesday. It looks like the younger garden club has a Wednesday after school meeting, but please use whatever calendar they share.
Some other announcements:
- Thank you so much for your support of the American Heart Association, Kids Heart Challenge. RES brought in $9,600!!
- Be on the lookout for information about a Flying Squirrels Baseball special treat. This month if students keep track of reading 8 books they will receive a free voucher to the April 21st baseball game.
- Congratulations to the American Legion essay winners. Chase Adams took first place. Alex Horst took 2nd. Chloe Wiltshire took 3rd and Jack Jones got honorable mention. They will be attending the American Legion dinner meeting on April 21st to read their essays and receive an award.
- This month is Arts Education and Music in Our Schools Month! Make sure you have March 20th on your calendar as all schools will be showcasing our students’ fine arts talent at the high school. Here is a flyer about it!
- I’ll start with an event that is farther out, but that needs some attention now. On Friday, April 24th we will have our annual PTA spring fundraiser & family fun event. It’s got a new name this year – Family Night & Camp Expo 2020. Here is a link with more information. We will be selling spots to various camps from the area so that parents can get more info, see demonstrations, and sign children up for summer camp. We will also be selling spots for local vendors to come in and set up tables and sell their wares. Also any student in the Goochland area who makes/sells things can do so for FREE, but they still need to sign up so we know how many vendors we have and can place them. We will have popular items from the past like the Balloon Buyout, Raffle for Lottery Tickets, Face Painting and we will have multiple Food Truck vendors for food options. Instead of class basket silent auction each class will be painting/decorating a chair that will be part of a silent auction. The book fair will also be in full swing. The now part of this message is to put it on your calendar and to share the link with camps and vendors that can attend the event!
- Reading Olympics is coming up on March 26th. Before we get there we’d like to make a fun edible connection to one of the books entitled Pie, by Sarah Weeks. Like the characters in the book, help our Reading Olympics participants go PIE CRAZY by enjoying a slice! Although we’d like to do it on 3.14.20 (pie day) we can’t because it is a Saturday. Instead we’ll aim for Wednesday, March 11th. If your kiddo is doing Reading Olympics and you can provide a pie, please sign up at this link.
- The GHS Dance Company students will be hosting a Dance Camp on Monday, March 16th from 9am to 2pm. Please see the flyer. Click on this link to pay online.