Let’s start with the calendar:
- Tuesday through Friday we will have SOL makeup and retake testing.
- On Monday morning we will have a school wide assembly to hear SCA candidate speeches. Students will be voting on officers for next year during lunch. Also that morning former Principal Dianna Gordon will be a guest reader in the library. At 11:30 the 5th grade will have it’s closing event for their Journey Project: Pouring Hope. Proceeds from the coffee shop sales will be donated to the Humanity Helping Sudan Project.
- On Tuesday 4th Grade will once again host the Chesapeake Bay Foundation. This visit support the teams Journey Project entitled “Growing Up Green.” That afternoon at 2:30pm Kindergarten will have it’s culminating Journey Project Event. They will share what it means to be a Roadrunner in Goochland.
- On Wednesday at 1:30pm our Preschoolers will celebrate a successful first year at Randolph Elementary. We look forward to hosting their families for the celebration! The kids have been practicing for weeks and have a fun little show. There is Garden Club after school.
- Fourth Grade hosts the Young Scientists Program on Thursday. Thursday evening the 1st Grade team has their closing event during our final PTA meeting. They learned about ways to support families in our Goochland Community. As part of the event they are asking that families bring canned food items that will be donated to Goochland Cares. If you are not able to come they are happy to take donations throughout the beginning of this week. Just send them in through backpacks to go down to the 1st grade hall. Also that evening the PTA is sponsoring Kona Ice! All grade level families are welcome to come and see the 1st grade work and then enjoy a free Kona Ice treat.
- On Friday we have two grade levels going on a field trip. 5th grade meets at 7:15am at Randolph for a 7:30am Charter Bus departure for Washington D.C. That trip departs from D.C. at 6pm and should arrive to Randolph between 8 and 8:30pm. 3rd grade travels to Tredegar Iron Works. That is during the school day.
- Also on Friday we will be collecting 3rd and 4th grade iPad devices. 5th grade will be collected on Tuesday next week. When turning in the device you must also turn in the charging block, charging cord, and external case. Kajeet internet devices should also be turned in at that time. If you are missing any of these items please see the replacement cost charges listed on this document.
- Looking farther out, here are some important items that should be on your calendar:
- School is closed for Memorial Day on Monday, May 27th.
- Field Day is on Wednesday, May 29th.
- 5th Grade Graduation is at 8:30am on Thursday, May 30th. Kindergarten has their year celebration at 1:30pm that afternoon.
- On Friday, May 31st the 1st and 2nd grade students have their awards ceremony at 8:30am and then 3rd and 4th grade will be honored at 1:30pm that afternoon.
- A reminder that the last day of school is on Wednesday, June 5th with an early 1pm dismissal time.
Here are a list of Summer Activities you may be interested in:
- Check out the Goochland YMCA summer offerings.
- Here is a link to the Parks and Recreation Summer Camp List.
- The county is offering summer STEM Camp and a Fine Arts Camp. Paper registration forms came home a few weeks ago. Seats are first come first serve. Fine Arts Camp is the week after school lets out, June 10th through June 13th. STEM Camp is June 17th through June 21st. Here is a link to the STEM camp registration form. And here is a link to the Fine Arts Camp. This year we have set up a partnership with the YMCA so that a student can go from the 11:30 camp close time over to the YMCA until 6pm for an additional fee. Here is a link that contains information about that service.
- Goochland High School Football will be putting on a youth camp from Tuesday, June 11th to Thursday, June 13th at the high school. The camp runs from 6pm to 8:30 pm each day and is open to rising 1st thru 8th graders. Instructors include current and former players, as well as the varsity and JV staff. A camp shirt will be provided for each camper. Registration is online at the following link: https://forms.gle/TbjxXWC8BxHUww57. Cost for each camper is $50. Walkups are welcome. Any questions please contact Coach Alex Fruth at the high school (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- For more information about girls joining Scouts BSA, call Scoutmaster Michelle Schmitz at 804-240-8038, email email@example.com, or find us on Facebook @Goochland.ScoutsBSA