The first Randolph School was an old home donated by Mr. James A. Randolph. In the 1920’s, the Senior League of Randolph School raised funds for a new site and building. Because of the close proximity to Beaverdam Creek, the school was called Beaverdam School. It was later named Randolph Elementary School in honor of Mr. James A. Randolph. Elvira Randolph James, granddaughter, was a Goochland County Public Schools educator from 1940-1980. Mrs. James served as a second grade teacher, the principal of Randolph Elementary, and the county supervisor of elementary education.
The present building located in eastern Goochland County is the fifth school that has housed the boys and girls of Dover district. This building was built in 1959 when the First Union, Manakin, and Randolph Schools were consolidated. In 1966, increased enrollment resulted in an addition to the building.
Randolph housed students in grades one through seven until 1969. At that time, Randolph was paired with Cardwell School, with primary students attending Randolph and upper elementary students attending Cardwell. In February of 1981, declining enrollment prompted a decision to consolidate Cardwell and Randolph Schools. Beginning in the fall of 1981, Randolph Elementary School housed kindergarten through sixth grades. Enrollment increased at Randolph School by 100 students during the 1986-1987 school year after the closing of Kanawha Elementary School. At the beginning of the 1988-1989 school year, the sixth grade was moved to Goochland Junior High School, leaving an enrollment at Randolph of approximately 360 students.
During the summer of 1989, Randolph began renovation. The school received air conditioning, a new electrical system, six additional classrooms and an overall retrofitting throughout the 1989-1990 school year. Enrollment again reached 360 students and a guidance counselor was employed for the first time.
In 1996, the enrollment had grown to 460 students, creating the need for more space. During the 1996-1997 school year, ten new classrooms, a computer lab, and a new library-media center were added. Much of the existing building was renovated during the most recent construction, making available a new office, clinic, kitchen, guidance facility and teacher workspace. The old and new areas are joined together to embrace a large, attractive courtyard.
RES is fully accredited by the Virginia Department of Education. A dedicated staff, PTA, and school community have worked together to develop goals and strategies used to facilitate numerous changes and improvements at Randolph Elementary School.
Click on the teachers and staff link to see our family of educators.